Daily Blog Tips

Wednesday 25 May 2011

CRICKET - MY FAVOURITE SPORT

So I think I'd like to lighten the mood of my readers and take the discussion a bit towards something that interests majority of the people that i know......CRICKET! Let me tell you, I am a HUGE fan of cricket and I just love to watch every game of it. Now the only good thing that i can remember that has happened to Pakistan recently is.... guess what??? CRICKET!!! As most of us know, the worldcup took place in Feb-Apr 2011. Well, most of us might be touchy about this topic.. well, so am I... but only when i come across people who only like to point out the negative qualities of our team. Well, for those of you who are one those, let me tell you that there is NOTHING, absolutely nothing in this world that is perfect. So if you love something, love it completely - meaning accepting its good and bad sides BOTH. And thats what I do! Im a big big fan of our cricket captain, Shahid Afridi and I think it is just WOW, how he kept his promise to his nation and got us till the semis. If you look at the previous pakistani cricket record, this is a big achievement for our team and therefore, for US! 

During the worldcup days, I could concentrate on NOTHING but cricket. I watched every match that happened, even those that were not played by our team. Its just amazing how that game can keep a person from doing anything else. Sadly, I had my exams during those days as well and it was just so diffcult to concentrate on my studies with all the cricket fever going on. Everywhere i went, it was ALL cricket! The TV, the internet (especially facebook), billboards, posters, pakistan jerseys, pictures, flags - just GREEN EVERYWHERE! it was just the BEST BEST BEST feeling EVER, to see that even after everything that was going on in our country, there was ATLEAST one thing that had STILL kept us united... cricket!

My cricket craze was even more than that - i wore my jersey during every match that pakistan played, with green and white paint on my face, i gathered my friends and family who are just as crazy about cricket as I am and we would watch every match with a huge patriotic crowd and hoot and cheer for our team till the very end. Although we couldnt win the cup, our achievement on the level soul was overwhelming. The last match that we played in the WC was against India and im sure noone can  ever forget that. Many of us believe that India used the wrong means to get the cup and some tell another story. Whatever may happened, i still loved every moment of the WC days. 

There was this joke that i recieved right after India won the cup and it quite cheered me up and I would like to share it. 

"Woh team cup jeet gayi Faraz... woh team cup jeet gayi Faraz, jin ke bachon ko yeh tak nahi pata ke maggi noodles khaana hai ya peena" hahah!! Those of you who have seen the indian maggi noodles ad. would probably understand this and laugh just as much as I did. ;)

The picture i've put above was taken just before the Pak-Ind match! My mother-brother in law and my sister!! CRICKET MANIA ALL WAY!!

Soon after the WC ended.....GUESS WHAT HAPPENED??!! i met AFRIDII!!!!!!! oh my God!!!! it was just one of the most amazing memories that i recall of. And you want to know something more interesting or coincidential? I just got too lucky! Right after the worldcup had ended, Afridi said on TV, "Im sorry to my nation". I felt so so sad seeing the tears in his eyes that i made a collage for him and i decided I would give it to him somehow or the other. YES, it was just like a dream - all of that happening..... Below is the poster i made for him all by myself...



And then..... I was actually able to give it to him!!!! luckily there was a conference at Karachi Gymkhana club where Afridi came!!!! and it was just the best feeling ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment